Tuesday, June 14, 2016

This is day 12 of the new regimen, and Sailor continues to tolerate the reduction of the steroids well. There are even some glimpses of the puppy she once was as she actually wants to play with her squeaky toys. Her ravenous appetite continues unabated though we have cut out the treats (mostly except pill time) and the table food. She loves those unsalted green beans, though, and I'll bet she'd eat as many cans as I would open.  Her hair loss is obvious especially on her elbows and her stomach. She also has changes in the texture of her hair - all of this attributable to the steroids.

Unfortunately, I had to take Sailor back to the vet yesterday. She has a growth on her left forefoot (I thought it was a sore). The vet did a needle biopsy and determined it was a harmless growth and should go away within 3 months. However, it had started to bleed and had become infected - another unfortunate result of her compromised immune system. Now when she goes outside she has to wear protection on her foot to keep her from traumatizing it. The vet thought she was chewing on it, but she never has. The trauma is from walking on the pavement because she drags her feet. Also, one of her eyes is looking a little red. I'm hoping it is just a little irritation and not another eye infection. In any case, she is back on an antibiotic, which she takes twice a day with a full tummy. This presents a problem as she normally eats in the morning and at 5:30 in the afternoon. So, I am giving her a half a can of green beans at 8:00 at night before she gets her second antibiotic. I'm trying to avoid an upset digestive system.

Sometimes I get discouraged because she seems better and then something else will pop up, but I am still so thankful she is still with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a dog diagnosed with SRMA, please feel free to ask any questions or comment on the blog.